[mythtv] More scheduling scheduler

Paul Andreassen paulx at andreassen.com.au
Fri Sep 15 01:36:57 UTC 2006

Hello David,

Thanks for looking at this again.

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 12:35 am, David Engel wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 01:12:59PM +1000, Max Barry wrote:
> > David Engel wrote:
> > > First, I changed the priority sorting to prefer padded programs in a
> > > way that isn't acceptable for inclusion in trunk.  That could possibly
> > > be remedied by adding explicit priorities for start and end softpads.
> > > I'd hoped to avoid needing priorities for that, but I currently don't
> > > see any other way with the current, multi-candidate approach.
> >
> > By "explicit priorities," do you mean something the user would specify
> > via an option, or a hidden hard-coded value to be used internally?
>
> I originally thought it would be seomthing the user would have to
> specify.  But, yes, after giving it more thought, it could be
> hard-coded, hidden values such as 2 for end and 1 for start padding.

It would be nice if it could be a ->recpriority3 so it didn't interfere with
the other settings.  Otherwise are you thinking ->recpriority2 or
->recpriority?

Do we get to keep the retrylist sorting?

> > > Second, in order to add partial padding when full padding can't be
> > > done, another scheduling step is need do it.  If another step is
> > > added, it's not clear to me that the rest of the current,
> > > multi-candidate approach is worth it.  Why not go back to something
> > > along the lines of what Max Barry originally proposed (though, without
> > > the mixing of soft padding with pre/post-roll).
> >
> > Isn't partial padding already working? But I vote for whatever's
> > simplest to implement. As with Paul, I'm yet to encounter programs that
> > can only be partially softpadded. It doesn't seem worth worrying about.
>
> IIRC, Paul made a patch which I thought was more complicated than it
> needed to be.  He then made another patch but it was even less
> acceptable to me.  Neither made it into the softpad branch.

The more I looked at it, the more it got complicated.  Lets drop the partial
padding.

Thanks again,
Paul