[mythtv] ivtv-0.7 upgrade bug

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Sep 11 20:37:23 UTC 2006

On 09/11/06 15:19, Preston Crow wrote:

>I upgraded to ivtv-0.7.  The input connections changed, so I had to go
>into the setup and reconfigure them.  Then live TV worked, but
>recordings were failing.  It turns out that the old inputs were also
>still in the connection table, so I just deleted those two entries (one
>for composite4 and one for tuner0, I think), and now it works fine.
>
>I expect that mythtv-setup should have cleared those out when I set up
>the new connections.

There are actually two tickets for this and related issues in Trac (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/220242#220242 and
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/220470#220470 ).
Basically, mythtv-setup expects you to clean up the entire chain of
video sources, channels, and input connections if you define things
incorrectly or when major changes are necessary.  And, depending on the
extent of changes to the capture card, you may need to clean up the
entire chaing of capture cards and card inputs (i.e. if cards/drivers
change).

Using the "Delete all" button to remove video sources allows you to
clean up video sources, channels, and input connections.  Once you've
done this, you can make major changes--like renaming inputs, etc.  Using
the "Delete all" button to remove capture cards allows you to clean up
capture cards and card inputs.  Once you've done this, you can make
major changes to cards/card inputs (and, depending on the extent of
changes, you may want to delete all video sources, too).

Even if mythtv-setup is fixed to "automatically figure out the extent
and effects of these major changes," there will still be some cases
where major changes should just be fixed by deleting all video sources
(and I will /always/ recommend using "Delete all").  Doing so /forces/
you to look at and verify your entire configuration of (capture cards,)
video sources, channels, and input connections--as you have to redefine
them.  And, it's often easier to start over in a known, clean
configuration than to try to undo the things that you did a long time
ago in a different configuration before trying to modify the settings
for your current configuration--especially when you consider it should
take you a total of about 5 minutes to redo capture cards, video
sources, channels, /and/ input connections.

Mike