[mythtv] MythTV VL4 decoding (analog)

mtrax11 mylists at wilsononline.id.au
Sat Sep 2 01:01:53 UTC 2006

Torbjörn Jansson wrote:

> mythtv-dev-bounces at mythtv.org <> wrote:
>> There is indefinitely something wrong with the MythTV V4L decoding or
>> recording of my V4L device can anyone help?
>>
>> TVTime works 100% clear but when I switch to the Composite1 device in
>> MythTV the recording is all Blocky, not sure the technical
>> name for it.
>>
>> Does anyone use the V4L devices to record from an external device
>>
>> Paul
>>

> Check your cpu utliization at your backend, if it's at 100% you get block
> recordings.
>
> I got this problem a while ago because of a change that fixed a bug with 2
> of the settings for mpeg4 encoding.
> If i remeber correctly, before those 2 checkboxes never realy did
> anything,
> but now they work and use lots of cpu.
>
> I still don't understand why 100% cpu utilization causes blocky recording
> insead of dropped frames.

Ok just re-tested the analog capture while looking at the "top" report, this
is telling me CPU is around 60%, plenty of horse power.
ie this doesn't appear to be the problem.
I suspect its a setting or MythTV not capturing the Analog stream correctly.

Any further hints, ie do I need to turn on the PVR 350 setting even though I
don't have this card?