No subject

Mon Oct 30 22:48:16 UTC 2006

at an affordable price to consumers is extremely low because of the high
bandwidth and processing effort required for HD signals.  We'd be talking
broadcast quality video systems.

Well, Moore's Law is powerful, so never say never...  but it would be a good
few years away.

> Well, ideal would be unencrypted QAM or being able to get unencumbered
> digital from the STB, but that's a pipe dream.

To say the least :)

> And ideally there will be enough component only HD display devices to
> prevent the cable companies from limiting the component output.

I think there is still a chance of that being the case.  There's too many
fairly new displays already out there for component makers to abandon.  It
will take the lifecycle of those displays, 5-10 years or more, before copy
protection could be enforced.  Maybe Moore's law will kick in by then...