[mythtv] Plugins license

Colin Guthrie mythtv at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Oct 21 17:52:11 UTC 2006

Josh Lefler wrote:
> Ivan, IANAL, but MythTV itself is released under the GPL. Since it isn't
> possible to use GPLed code in a project that is not GPL. releasing a
> plugin under another license would at least require reimplementing large
> parts of MythTV that plugins depend on and at worst be impossible
> without rewriting MythTV itself.

While IAANAL, that is not my understanding of the GPL. I thought that
you it is perfectly OK to *use* GPL'ed code in other projects, provided
that any *modification* you make to that code are also released under
the GPL.

In the case of writing and distributing a plugin, as I understand it at
least, it would be perfectly OK to use whichever license the user wants
on that particular bit of code.

As far as any changed the plugin required in the core mythtv, it is
unlikely that:
a) Ivan will *need* to modify mythtv anyway
b) Ivan would *want* to modify mythtv *without* releasing his changes
under the GPL.

Either way that sounds OK to me.

> For example. plugins must link to certain mythTV components to receive
> input notifications, to use Myth's database utilities, etc. If your
> component is not GPL, it would have to reimplement each of these
> libraries independently. It wouldn't so much be a plugin as a separate
> program that happens to be called from a menu item.

While I cannot be bothered to look for examples, I am sure there are
hundreds of applications that link against and use GPL libraries in
commercial applications. Like I say I think it's perfectly OK to use
GPL'ed code/libs in your (alternatively licensed) applications provided
that any specific changes you made to GPL'ed code were made available
under the GPL license (even if they would be effectively useless to
anyone due to their specific tailoring to your commercial app's needs)

> May I ask what license you are considering using?

I am also as curious as a dead feline. :)

Col.