[mythtv] Plugins license

Josh Lefler joshlefler at leflerinc.com
Sat Oct 21 17:38:28 UTC 2006

Ivan, IANAL, but MythTV itself is released under the GPL. Since it isn't
possible to use GPLed code in a project that is not GPL. releasing a
plugin under another license would at least require reimplementing large
parts of MythTV that plugins depend on and at worst be impossible
without rewriting MythTV itself.

For example. plugins must link to certain mythTV components to receive
input notifications, to use Myth's database utilities, etc. If your
component is not GPL, it would have to reimplement each of these
libraries independently. It wouldn't so much be a plugin as a separate
program that happens to be called from a menu item.

Again, I am not an expert in this field but these are some issues I'd
look into very carefully before releasing a plugin under another
license. May I ask what license you are considering using?

Josh Lefler
Lefler, Inc.
Phone: 314-754-8719
Toll-Free: 877-242-8558