[mythtv] Questions about which components are meant for FE and BE

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 13 02:41:06 UTC 2006

I'm working with Axel Thimm to try to reorganize the packaging for the
Fedora RPMs, and I have some questions.  I've looked in the Wiki, and gone
through the archives, and it seems that I'm left with more questions than
answers.

There are several packages that can be pulled in via ATrpms, but there is
the concept of a "mythtv-backend" and a "mythtv-frontend", which are
intended for use in setting up minimal machines.  What brings this issue
up is that mythcommflag and mythtranscode are included only in the
frontend packages, but I've known commercial flagging to be run only on
the backend.

Given the list of these programs, which are meant for the backend, and
which are meant to be located on the frontend?
mythcommflag
mythtranscode
mythtvosd
mythlcdserver
mythshutdown
mythwelcome

Knowing that MythTV is a client-server architecture, some programs are
capable of being run on both a frontend and a backend (or any other
machine, for that matter).  That may very well be the case for the above
programs, but still, I figure I'll ask.

Thanks,
Joe

Signup at www.doteasy.com