[mythtv] mythtv features i've been working on.

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 18:04:47 UTC 2006

On 8/10/06, stanley kamithi <skamithi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Over the last 9 months, I've made some changes to Mythtv that I find useful.
>  Wanted to know if any of these features are liked by others.

Haven't tried any of them yet, many of the features look very
interesting. Look forward to trying them later. Comments below.

> Features are:
>
> 1) embedded playbackbox and scheduled view. This works like the
> embedded program guide. Just go to the TV OSD Menu and select "Recorded
> Shows"
> or "Scheduled Recordings".

Nice feature - I'd actually like to be able to do just about
everything in mythtv from the OSD menus while watching a recording -
I've even thought about transparent overlay menus that mimic the
structure of the main menus

> 3) Picture by Picture. (PBP)
>   Add "PBPMode" = 1 to the Settings table.
>   Then when the picture is in PIP mode, hit the PIPToggle button again to
> activate PBP, then hit the PIPToggle button again
>   to go back to just one picture.

I presume this means TWO equal size screens side by side. Maybe
someday a single mythfrontend could drive multiple displays and switch
video between them?

> 4) If you are watching a recorded show, then exit to the main menu, hitting
> Watch Live TV will take you back to where you left off.
> So basically no need to go fishing around in Watch Recordings to find the
> show you were last watching.

I'd rather have the option for having the recordings screen jump to
the the last viewed video if a bookmark was saved on exit so I
wouldn't need to fish around, and could just hit "enter" or fish
around for something else :)

Why confuse recordings with live tv?

> 5) Selecting "Watch TV" first checks if a tuner is free. If not, it plays
> the newest recording.

I'd be happy with an option box , "all tuners in use:" with options
like: "return to menu", "play most recent recording", "browse
recordings", "kill lowest priority in progress recording and watch
live tv"

-Ross