[mythtv] Windows port

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 03:06:05 UTC 2006

On 10/4/06, Isaac Richards <ijr at case.edu> wrote:

> > I'm thinking I'll use the _MSC_VER define for the #ifdefs rather than
> > WIN32, in case anyone makes a non-MSVC Windows port.
> >
> > When you say "create separate functional and non-functional patches", I
> > don't follow.
>
> Basically, separate patches for stuff that actually do something, and
> separate
> patches for things that just reindent/rearrange code.  Reading mixed
> patches
> is more difficult.

Ah, got it.  Not a problem.

> I assume you want me to submit patches as diffs.  What branch should I be
> > using for these changes?  Can I use 0.20 fixes?  That's what my backend
> is
> > running, so it would be difficult to debug if I needed to patch against
> the
> > trunk.
>
> It'd be preferred to have them against trunk, as this sort of thing won't
> be
> going into fixes.  For the most part, things _should_ be pretty applicable
> both branches at the moment, but that will probably change.

Hmm.  Can a 0.20 backend interoperate with a trunk frontend currently?  That
gives me a bad feeling to depend on that.  I don't have a spare computer to
run a trunk backend at the moment, and my wife won't be happy if I
destabilize the existing backend.  Maybe the best course is to have both
trunk and 0.20-fixes on my Windows machine, then make my changes against
trunk to be sure they compile.  When I make a patch, I can apply it to my
0.20-fixes, and eventually do my testing with 0.20-fixes once everything's
compiling and linking.  More work, but not a lot more.  Any better ideas?

-Jerry