[mythtv] Windows port

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Wed Oct 4 23:55:23 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 17:26 -0400, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> Can anyone tell me the status of any Windows ports of mythfrontend?
> It looks like someone started working on one over the summer in
> svn/branches/windows-port, and there's been sporadic discussion in the
> archives of apparent other efforts, but no end result as far as I've
> been able to tell.
Yep, this was unfortunately one of the failed SoC projects.

> I tried compiling some of the mythfrontend pieces under Visual Studio
> Express, to try to see what I could see as far as how difficult it
> might be, and I'm tempted to go further.  But before I do that I was
> hoping to find out:
> -opinions of devs on me starting to do this.
Go ahead.

> -if there's already ongoing work, or if there's anything I could build
> on.
Not really. Portions on the code have been ported to windows before,
but this code was in a raw state in the best of times and has aged
badly.

> -opinions of best way to proceed, and any requirements if this code is
> to have hope of being merged into svn.  Ideally I'd like to use Visual
> Studio, and it looks like cygwin would be useful.
Please use at least a free-as-in-beer toolchain, I believe VS Express
qualifies. Try to keep the number of dependencies down, and you will
need to use Qt 3.x, we're not ready to move to Qt 4.x. Other than that,
the general patch rules apply. Create separate functional and
non-functional patches + keep individual patches small (<20kB) and
only do one thing in each patch (an exception might be a number of
trivial bug fixes).

-- Daniel