[mythtv] libavformat doesn't handle multi-audio PS stream correctly

Geoffrey Hausheer mythtv0368 at phracturedblue.com
Wed Oct 4 14:35:32 UTC 2006

On 10/3/06, Mark Spieth wrote:
> Ive noticed this for a long time and have been looking into it sporadically.
> it happens for TS (DVB) too.
> if you remove 500k from the front of a recording then it can work correctly
> again, recognizing the streams and codecs correctly.
This is a red herring (sort of)
For TS, it looks for a PMT I believe.  If it finds one before it
decides it has read enough bytes, it'll use it.  I would expect you
wouldn't have this problem if you had the 'Wait for start' box (or
however it is named) checked in mythtv-setup (but that is purely a
guess).  PS should always be valid right from the start, with the
first frame being a system header (note that I said should, not will).

> dont know but Im starting to look at mplayer (yesterday) and how it does
> stream detection with lavf
I believe the code I mentioned is there to make recordings start
faster.  I believe (after a quick look at the code) that mplayer does
a deeper search, and thus finds streams more reliably, but it will
take longer to do.