[mythtv] what does "DVBRec(1): PID 0x840 discontinuity detected" mean?

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Tue Oct 3 08:03:51 UTC 2006

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 09:43:43PM -0400, Steven Adeff wrote:

> > > Is it safe to apply the diff for 11334 to 0-20-fixes or will it need
> > > other patches to work?
> >
> > well, I did that anyway, and it seems as though only my HD3000 card
> > has issues (perhaps moving it to another pci slot?), as the A180's
> > recorded together fine, and only showed any problems once the HD3000
> > started recording.
> >
> > any way, let me know about how exactly I should test the patch (I'll
> > guess I did it wrong) and I'll try that...
>
> errors still show up but now they don't cause me to miss whole blocks
> of seconds, just minor blips. which i guess is an improvement. I'd
> still love to know why this started happening. I even replaced the
> HD3000 with a new card and get the problem....

That's what I would expect it to do. Previously it was keeping
the partial packet when it suffered a discontinuity. Now it throws
away that partial packet and waits for the start of a new one.

The net effect as you have noticed is that only the small error
is seen, rather than the larger one.

Stuart