[mythtv] mythtranscode not as good at synchronizing as playback inside MythTV

Martin Møller martin at martinm-76.dk
Thu Nov 30 16:30:29 UTC 2006

Well, good news to me and anyone in a similar situation:

mencoder does a really good job with 'copy' as codec once again.

I still have stutter for a while but the sync returns afterwards and thus Episode 215 of 7th Heaven is now secured :)

I did the following:

mencoder -forceidx -ovc copy -oac copy /vol/TV/11_20061106155400.nuv -o I7H-Ep215.avi
mencoder I7H-Ep215.avi -forceidx -oac copy -ovc copy -o My-Ep215.avi

Note: The -forceidx didn't work the first time, probably due to the wrapper format but the second one worked beautifully.

It also worked well with a file that goes waaaaaaay out of sync when mytharchive DVDizes it. No trace of syncproblems anymore.

Yippie!

With a little luck I can use mencoder directly when I want to store DivX files again. Much faster than reencoding the whole shebang...

Hope someone else can use this information as well.

/Martin.