[mythtv] I am having major problems with pchdtv-3000, cable and svn mythtv.

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Tue Nov 14 22:12:08 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 16:00 -0600, Harley Peters wrote:
> Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> > Dylan, your problem is almost certainly due to a motherboard
> > chipset problem. To work around it you will want to make sure
> > that the pcHDTV card and your video card do not share an
> > interrupt and you will want to extend your PCI latency to
> > at least 64 for the pcHDTV card, and reduce the PCI latency
> > for the video card (especially if it is not an AGP card).
> > Making the cards not share an interrupt may require changing
> > which slots on the motherboard they are plugged into if you
> > can not rearrange them in the BIOS settings. If you have any
> > further questions reply on the user's list and BCC me so I
> > don't miss the post there.

> I can confirm this is the problem.
>
> When recording via azap and watching another recording the program being
> recorded via azap was corrupt.
> Also when recording via mythtv and then dropping back to the console the
> recording though not perfect was much better than usual.
> Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be anyway to get it to work either.
> None of my cards are sharing an interrupt with the video card. And even
> after pulling out all the cards except the video card and pchdtv-3000
> card it still didn't work.
> I do have another pc used as a server i could put it in but don't really
> want to.
> I have also been considering the hdhomerun device. Does anyone know how
> well that works with mythtv ?

The HDHomeRun works fine for me, but so do the pcHDTV cards.
If you search the MythTV mailing lists for 'setpci' you should be
able to find some HOWTO's on setting the PCI latency, which I
believe should work except that some chipsets do not allow you
to change the latencies. In that case only a new motherboard
will solve the problem. You might also want to check dmesg, a
failing hard drive or CD-ROM drive will sometimes swamp the PCI
bus, but in that case dmesg should be giving you error messages.

-- Daniel