[mythtv] I am having major problems with pchdtv-3000, cable and svn mythtv.

Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. gtgj at pacbell.net
Tue Nov 14 19:03:32 UTC 2006

>>>>> Dylan Semler writes:

d> Sorry for the interruption, but this last symptom looks very similar to what
d> I experience on all channels.  On my system, displaying video (or having any
d> activity on the screen) causes my pcHDTV to loose signal lock.  You can test
d> this by using azap to tune a channel and then play the file with xine in a
d> separate terminal while it is still being tuned (perhaps you do this
d> already--if so, ignore this message).  When you start playing the file with
d> xine, the pcHDTV will lose signal lock and the quality will degrade.  Then
d> when xine catches up to that point in the file, you will see the
d> degradation.  Unfortunately, I have not found a solution to this problem.

        I also have this problem and have seen similar reports on the
nvnews and pchdtv forums.  It seems that the HD-3000 has problems
tuning certain QAM channels when the system is busy (noisy).  I'm not
sure why, but I've had the card for over a year and the problem only
became more noticeable in the last few months.  Some people blame
recent kernels/drivers but I haven't bothered to confirm.

        Some people claim to get better results with different cards
(like the HD-5500).  Another solution is to move the card to a
separate backend that stays idle during primary recording hours.
That's what I did and I don't see the problem any more.

        Anyway, as you said, it's not a mythtv problem.
--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.