[mythtv] I am having major problems with pchdtv-3000, cable and svn mythtv.

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Tue Nov 14 19:29:22 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 13:24 -0500, Dylan Semler wrote:
> On 11/14/06, Harley Peters <harley at hpeters.net> wrote:
>         One thing i have noticed is the picture is much better (not
>         perfect)
>         when first tuned to but very quickly turns into a mess. (3 or
>         seconds)
>
> Sorry for the interruption, but this last symptom looks very similar
> to what I experience on all channels.  On my system, displaying video
> (or having any activity on the screen) causes my pcHDTV to loose
> signal lock.  You can test this by using azap to tune a channel and
> then play the file with xine in a separate terminal while it is still
> being tuned (perhaps you do this already--if so, ignore this message).
> When you start playing the file with xine, the pcHDTV will lose signal
> lock and the quality will degrade.  Then when xine catches up to that
> point in the file, you will see the degradation.  Unfortunately, I
> have not found a solution to this problem.

Harley, can you confirm whether this might be the problem you are
encountering. Just play a pre-existing recording while you try to
capture the stream outside MythTV and also try scheduling a
recording in MythTV and do not view a recording at the same time.
If the recording you make while you are playing the video is
corrupted or the video you make with MythTV while not watching
a recording is not corrupted, then this is probably the problem.

Dylan, your problem is almost certainly due to a motherboard
chipset problem. To work around it you will want to make sure
that the pcHDTV card and your video card do not share an
interrupt and you will want to extend your PCI latency to
at least 64 for the pcHDTV card, and reduce the PCI latency
for the video card (especially if it is not an AGP card).
Making the cards not share an interrupt may require changing
which slots on the motherboard they are plugged into if you
can not rearrange them in the BIOS settings. If you have any
further questions reply on the user's list and BCC me so I
don't miss the post there.

-- Daniel