[mythtv] mythtranscode not as good at synchronizing as playback inside MythTV

Martin Møller martin at martinm-76.dk
Sun Nov 12 16:55:12 UTC 2006

Hi all.

I have a MPEG-4 recording that has a couple of seconds where the sync is troublesome during playback in MythTV but then MythTV recovers. When I transcode this recording, the problem arises in the same place, but it never goes away again and all the rest of the recording is off sync.
It's OK by me that there's about 10-20 seconds that look weird if only the rest of the recording is behaving as normal.

I have tried mythcommflag --rebuild and tried upgrading to latest SVN, but neither of these fixed the problem.
Updating ffmpeg didn't help either.

I can make a 5 minute sample available if anyones willing to look into it. The problem occurs approximately in the middle of this period.
The full episode is a bit more than 42 minutes in length.

If I transcode only the part of the show that is after the problem (a few minutes later onwards), there is no problem, but I kinda need the whole show :)

As far as I know --fifosync and --buildindex will not work in my situation, but I could be wrong. This is what happens:

mythtranscode -c 11 -s 2006-11-06T15:54:00 -p autodetect --fifodir /tmp/fifo.11365 --honorcutlist &
nice -n 19 ffmpeg -f s16le -ar 32000 -ac 2 -i /tmp/fifo.11365/audout -f rawvideo -s 352x288 -r 25 -i /tmp/fifo.11365/vidout -f avi -vcodec xvid -b 900 -g 300 -bf 2 -acodec mp3 -ab 224 "2006-11-06T15:54:00-I den syvende himmel - Episode 215.avi"

I've tried ffmpeg alone on the recording as well and the result seems very similar. After loosing sync it never gets back.

I have looked over the threads I could find in gossamers archive but didn't see anything that seems to be related.

I really hope there's a way to resync after a period like this...

/Martin.