[mythtv] [RFC] MythNews Multimedia Support

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Thu Nov 9 14:49:03 UTC 2006

I have been working recently to patch MythNews to support multimedia
aspects of RSS.  So far I have added

* Support for display of <image> tag on a feed including caching image
locally
* Improved HTML parsing of descriptions by not stripping everything in
tags or CDATA sections
* Support for display of <media:thumbnail> tag on an article
* Launching mplayer for streaming <enclosure> and <media:player> tags
(only tested with video)
* Added video sources for the below video sites

Right now it works well enough to display video from YouTube, Google
Video, G4TV and Cnet TV.  With a recent version of mplayer the streaming
works.

Issues:

* Sometimes mplayer takes a long time to set up streaming and I don't
know a good way to check the status of a shelled command (help here
would be appreciated) to either show information about it or kill it if
it hangs
* The Internal player can play the files just fine if downloaded but I
don't know how to use it to stream from HTTP sources

Future:

* Testing both audio and video enclosures
* Graphical indicators on the feed display of the presence of an
enclosure and it's type
* Dynamic thumbnail display that can change height/width to handle
different thumbnail sizes
* Subscription to feeds so that enclosures can be downloaded locally for
playback instead of streaming (I could use some advice here as well.
Should this be integrated to "Watch Recordings" or done only via
MythNews where it just locally plays instead of streams if available).

I'd love some comments on this patch.  It seems a very natural extension
to MythNews and with the popularity of podcasts and services like
YouTube it should be a nice enhancement.

Thanks,
Kevin