[mythtv] Problem in compiling mythtv-0.20 in Gentoo

Ivan Perez ivanperezdominguez at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 12:46:50 UTC 2006

Neil tran wrote:

> Hi Evan,
>
> Thank you for a propmt reply.
>
> Previously, I was using emerge mythtv and it works. The reason that I
> run the make fiule like this on gentoo is because I would like to
> change the GUI interface of MythTV  or writing a plugin..etc
>
> So I am wondering if this is how people set up the development
> enviroment for MythhTV on Gentoo.

I strongly recommend you to use a portage overlay, copying the original
ebuilds and modifying them
when necessary. Hence you will be able to use "ebuild install", "ebuild
unpack", and other ebuild related
commands.

A portage overlay is just a directory with your own portage tree. There
you can create the categories
and packages you need, and store the ebuilds you create. You must set
the PORTAGE_OVERLAY variable
to a proper value in "/etc/make.conf". Search for "portage overlay" in
Gentoo Documentation for more help.