[mythtv] Default database connection

Nigel Pearson nigel at ind.tansu.com.au
Wed Nov 1 02:08:58 UTC 2006

Kevin, sorry for the delay in replying to this:

> I was responding to some posts on -users and reading through the
> documentation on configuring the frontend and came across this:
>
> "When you start mythfrontend for the first time, it will attempt to
> connect to a configuration database on the local machine. If there is
> none, a "Database Configuration" screen will appear, and you will need
> to fill in some details."
>
> Is that the case?

Yes. Starting mythfrontend -v all | more
will let you see all the gorey details
(i.e. the database interactions), but basically:

1) It looks for a mysql.txt. If there ain't one,
it creates one with default contents, thus
DBHostName=localhost

2) It attempts to connect to the local MySQL
server and open the database mythconverg.
If there is no such local database, then the frontend
will hang for a while, retrying the connection,
and then eventually pop up the DB config screen

3) If there is a local database, but the default
user (mythtv/mythtv) can't access it, I think
the frontend dies somehow

4) If the database exists and is writable,
the frontend does its best to create the
appropriate tables. Which is all well and good,
but without a backend to talk to, the frontend
will die in a different way later on

--
Nigel Pearson, nigel at ind.tansu.com.au|"Now the world has gone to bed,
Telstra Net. Eng., Sydney, Australia | Darkness won't engulf my head,