[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r10078 by ijr

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed May 31 20:39:04 UTC 2006

On 5/31/06, Colin Guthrie <mythtv at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
> Steven Adeff wrote:
<snip>
> > Having never done it, what exactly is concept behind a playlist of playlists?
> > I've never found a use for this construct, mostly because I either
> > play full albums or do "party mode" style shuffled playback with
> > filters based on tag information.
>
> +1 for me but perhaps someone could ask on the users list (I'm not
> subscribed). I'd bet that it would upset someone if this functionality
> was lost.

I'll throw this out on the User list, perhaps a better concept of how
this is used might yeild a better method more atuned to how people
want it to work as well...

> That said with the UI improvements of the SoC, perhaps this will have to
> be rethought anyways?

Have you had a chance to talk at all with John Hurliman? I'm hoping
the participants, especially Mr Hurliman, start some threads on this
list to discuss their work, this area in particular has had some great
ideas thrown around in the past as well, something he should definitly
read through before proceeding.

> > Also, doesn't the M3U format allow for nested playlists? Could Myth
> > just use the M3U (or similar format) for playlists that are then given
> > entries in the music table like a normal music file?
>
> Perhaps, but I think having the data in the database is probably for the
> best overall to be honest (we've got a database so why keep data
> structures in files kinda feeling).

understand and agree.

> No reason to to provide an export to
> M3U tho' (actually, the work Jochen and myself have done on the MythWeb
> side of things now generates M3U's from your playlists ready for
> streaming via the Web already).

I've never personally found M3U's useful, but I'm sure if not you or
Mr. Hurliman, someone that does will code this up...

> Until I package up a patch in the next
> few days, you can checkout my mythplugins copy from my personal SVN
> server... it's listed in other messages from me on this list if you are
> interested.

I may do this. I don't currently use MythMusic, and as long as it can
play my AAC encoded mp4 files...

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!