[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r10078 by ijr

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed May 31 18:11:34 UTC 2006

On 5/31/06, Simon Kenyon <simon at koala.ie> wrote:
> Colin Guthrie wrote:
> > Simon Kenyon wrote:
> >>>
> >> do you plan to change that?
> >> and if so, to what?
> >>
> >> perhaps a table containing the playlist name and a single song id which
> >> you could iterate over
> >>

> > I did originally plan on changing it to a table defining the playlist
> > (auto-id + name) and a link table that contained (pl_id, song_id, order
> > {as db order cannot be guarenteed - especially for reordering etc.}).
> >
> > However as I dug into the code I discovered a feature I didn't know
> > about which is that playlists can contain other playlists in them
> > (provided no circular dependancy is created overall).
> >
> > In order to do this, they use negative numbers as song_ids in the
> > current database and the code is littered with "if (id < 1)" type
> > conditions. It's not very easy to understand but it does work.
> >
> > Anyways, to represent this structure neatly in the database I'd need to
> > do a (pl_id, song_id, sub_pl_id, order) structure, where only one of
> > song_id or sub_pl_id can be specified and the other must be NULL (NULL
> > is better than 0 if you consider how foreign key constraints work, even
> > if we cannot use foreign keys with then MyISAM engine).
> >
> drat and double drat
>
> i'm not doing the work - so i don't get to vote
> is the recursive playlist stuff used/useful?
> does it affect reliability/performance?
>
> my son creates playlists on his ipod galore
> me, i just pick an album and play it (or shuffle my collection and take
> pot luck)
>
> an alternative would be to make playlists be a simple collection of
> songs and introduce the complexity at a higher level of aggregation
> - collections of songs
> - collections of collections
> partition the complexity so to speak

Having never done it, what exactly is concept behind a playlist of playlists?
I've never found a use for this construct, mostly because I either
play full albums or do "party mode" style shuffled playback with
filters based on tag information.

Also, doesn't the M3U format allow for nested playlists? Could Myth
just use the M3U (or similar format) for playlists that are then given
entries in the music table like a normal music file?

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!