[mythtv] UK DVB-T transmissions - NIT should not be trusted.

jim mythdev at penyball.cix.co.uk
Fri May 26 11:09:00 UTC 2006

For information wrt UK DVB-T broadcasts - Stuarts recent scanning changes
mean this has no impact on current svn - but in case it affects any other
work:

I chased up the BBC to find out why the MoelYParc NIT was no longer
correct (It uses frequencies different from those shown in the NIT & the
NIT has lost the alternate frequency list.)

The response I got was:
"We have removed the alternative frequency flag and the other frequency
listings. These will stay removed for the time being and foreseeable
future."

(The beeb don't own the transmission network - its outsourced)

They called me back to follow this up and the reason is apparently that
the increasing number of transmitters means that the information in the
NIT is too much for several cards/solutions in the marketplace so it has
been removed.

This means that for most transmitters in the UK the NIT is useless and
should be ignored.