[mythtv] Transcode first/last frame problem [patch to v0.19]

Andrew M. Bishop amb at gedanken.demon.co.uk
Fri May 19 16:46:24 UTC 2006

"Steven Adeff" <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> writes:

> > > in my thinking "Delete before this frame" does *not*  include the
> > > current frame...
> >
> >         Hmmm. OK, includes was a bad word. Change to:
> > "my thinking ... keeps the current frame"
>
> Ok, I wonder if anyone interprets the wording to mean it includes the
> current frame?
> To me the 'before' modifier implies the current frame is kept. This
> may be a needless discussion.
>

> > > I don't care how it is, as long as whether the current frame is
> > > included or not is clear to the user.
> >
> >         Agreed. We could add "(keeps this frame)" or
> > "(deletes this frame) in the editing popup messages,
> > but that would look rather ugly.
>
> Does it currently delete the current frame as well? I never put a cut
> point at frame 0, I just put a "delete before" marker as my first
> point. It seems to work, though I've yet to check if it keeps the
> first frame or not.

This is the whole point of the patch.  If you use a "delete before"
marker as the first one then the first frame appears in the output.
The same as when a "delete after" is the last marker; the last frame
appears in the output.

If this patch doesn't go in then it means that transcoded videos
contain one frame of unwanted video at the beginning and the end (if
using "delete before" as the first marker and "delete after" as the
last one).

This isn't a patch about the GUI definition of "before this frame" or
"after this frame" (although it would be nice to be able to do frame
precise cuts without the ambiguity).

--
Andrew.
Andrew M. Bishop                             amb at gedanken.demon.co.uk