[mythtv] Any development on VPS (video programming system)

maestro maestro82 at gmail.com
Tue May 9 11:28:00 UTC 2006

Am Dienstag, den 09.05.2006, 13:05 +0200 schrieb Petr Stehlik:
> Martin wrote:
> > The biggest problem may be the scheduler, which has to search on all channels
> > for to early / late recordings (out of time / date) ... Mythbox (backend) has
> > to be ON every time (no possible timer wakeup) if there is only one VPS
> > recorded show ...
>
> I don't think it's that complicated. I'd say that main purpose of VPS is
> to delay the recording of shows that get delayed by say live sports. So
> say that there is a football game between 3 and 5 and then Simpsons
> begins at 5. I want to record the Simpsons. MythTV awakes at 4:55 to get
> ready for recording at 5:00. But then it receives the VPS that the
> football game will continue for another 25 minutes thus the Simpsons
> will start at 5:25. So MythTV will just sit there and wait for 5:25 to
> start the actual recording.
>
> IOW, I'd use VPS as the EIT is used for now-next - simply last-minute
> changes to the schedule. That's why I think it wouldn't need any
> dramatic changes in MythTV core etc.
>
> Petr

hello petr,

well it would be easy IFF vps worked that way. afaik the only relevant
information that VPS transports is the VPS start time of the current
show
so the correct behavior would be:
- wake up at 4:55
- check vps signal until it denots the show starting at 5:00 (simpsons)
is running
- check repeatedly for another 20 minutes (preventing other programs to
be recorded since the channel has to stay tuned) and finally start
recording the simpsons when vps signal turns 5:00 (at 5:20 in real time)

i hope that was understandable and correct - i'm not 100% sure of that
but at least thats how i understood the standard. if this is true the
biggest problem would be the scheduler

cheers
m.