[mythtv] More scheduling scheduler

Jack Perveiler perveilerj at yahoo.com
Thu May 4 21:30:40 UTC 2006

--- David Engel <gigem at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 03:14:10AM +1000, Paul Andreassen wrote:
> > It removes any softpadding and then adds the the new partial softpadding.
> > Work fine here.  A bit convoluted because I wanted to add the two tests.
>
> Ah, yes, I see it now.  One thing that is wrong is it can change the
> end time of a program that is currently recording and doesn't inform
> the recorder of the change.  That's not a case I want to deal with
> right now, so please don't change the times for rsRecording programs.
>
> > > No, leave it the way it is in the timedate area.
> >
> > Now I'm confused, will I just enlarge the "timedate" field in the themes
> and
> > add the colour change if not full soft padding in effect?
>
> Is the current timedate area not big enough?  If it isn't, then yes,
> enlarge it.
>
> > We could alway change MoveHigherRecords and TryAnotherShowing to allow soft
>
> > dropping on higher priority shows.
>
> That's a possibility.  It might not be too disruptive, but I'll have
> to think about it some more.
>
> On the other hand, even though SchedMoveHigher defaults to off,
> everyone recommends turning it on and I don't know of anyone who
> intentionally leaves it off.  Perhaps it's time to do away with that
> setting.
>
> David
> --

By "SchedMoveHigher" are you referring to the setting enabled by the
"Rescheduler Higher Priorities" checkbox in the Recording Priorities menu
(sorry, I'm not up on the scheduler lingo)?  If so then I intentionally leave
it off.

I have 1 hidef card (with a higher priority) and 2 std def cards.  With that
option set I got bit at the beginning of the season.  The networks would
advertise reruns for first run season premiers the next week, but would change
them frequently depending (presumably) on ratings.  Instead of capturing a show
that night on a std def card it instead opted to wait for next week when it
could get it on a special night in hidef.  Then the rerun would be cancelled in
favor of a rerun for a different show and I'd be left high and dry.

Also, there's the water cooler effect.  Some shows just can't be put off or
I'll end up the social leper at work :)  I wait until they've recorded for a
while so I can skip commercials, but I definitely watch it before the next
morning.

Instead of obsoleting that option, would you consider maybe just changing the
default to "on"?

--Jack