[mythtv] Backend troubles

Janne Grunau janne-mythtv at grunau.be
Thu May 4 09:08:00 UTC 2006

On Thursday 04 May 2006 04:05, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> Has anyone been noticing any problems with backend communications in
> recent SVN (9829?)  I seem to be having consistent trouble with:
>
> 1.  Backend stops logging
> 2.  Backend responds with bad proto version from mythfrontend and
> mythweb connections after a period of time

If the backend doesn't respond to MYTH_PROTO_VERSION and mythweb and the
frontend generate a bad proto error message then I see them regularly.

The cause is a QSocket related deadlock in {write|read}stringlist. I
assume that 1 and 2 are equal and you just don't have an independent
thread that creates log messages. If this happens and a recording is
running the recording finishes correct.
For backend that is DVB EIT scanning it's easy to reproduce this
deadlock by continuely reloading the backend status page.
While not being perfect the MythSocket patches help to avoid this
deadlock. I haven't tested the newest.
And the problem exist much longer than 9829 for me.

> 3.  Master backend dies (process gone) with nothing in the logs.
> Slave continues to record.

Haven't seen seqfaults in a while. My main backend runs for 3 days now.

Janne