[mythtv] New Method for Commercial Detection.

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Wed May 3 20:51:58 UTC 2006

I had another interesting idea that you might want to also look at, but
certainly in the UK (terrestrial) nearly all our programs use a standard
trailer/jingle sequence at the start and end of each advert sequence and
program (often with an audio jingle, but the video jingle is more
consistent).

The sequences are ever changing, but what's consistent is that you get
one near the start and end of the program and several in the middle
(which in the UK are nearly always spot on 4 mins apart).  So a simple
hash algorithm on each frame might spot the repeated frames and a
cluster of repeated frames identifies our jingle.  Some simple
heuristics to eliminate matching repeated scenes in the tv stream (eg
blank frames) might give a useful way to spot the breaks...

Interesting idea anyway...

Good luck with the audio fingerprinting

Ed W