[mythtv] DVB EIT in mythtv-eit

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Tue May 2 23:41:42 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 00:31 +0200, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> >On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 22:43 +0200, Janne Grunau wrote:
> >>No, only NetworkID and TSID together have to be unique. It would be
> >>sensible if the TSID in PAT and SDT match. I haven't checked since the
> >>SDT monitoring does not to slow down the tuning much.

> consider the following situation, where the operator is describing all
> possible network configurations by sending out all NITs on all TS.
> See chD444.nit....zip. The relevant SDT is in the sdt capture.
> In this situation it may be very usefull, at least at TS scan time, to
> know which network ID to use. This tells you which of the several NITs
> present you should use. This is not uncommon behaviour in cable country.
> I strongly suspect that for EIT scanning you also need to know which NIT
> to use.

This info isn't really useful for tuning, but I could for the EIT scan.

However, I think this will all be handled by the EIT caching scheme
we've been talking about in the last week. Since we will discover
which transports have most of the EIT information and use that to
speed up future scans, getting this info from the NIT tables would
only speed up that first EIT scan where we visit every channel
without any knowledge of which ones have the most information.

That is, this information could be used to seed information for use
during the initial EIT scan, but might not be worth the bother of
implementing since we will discover this same information in a more
general way during the first EIT scan anyway.

-- Daniel