[mythtv] mpeg4 H.264 over dvb in UK

Alan Nisota alannisota at gmail.com
Tue May 2 14:26:03 UTC 2006

On 5/2/06, Paul Wheeler  wrote:
> I am interested in the status of mpeg4 h.264 TS streams within Myth.
> The bbc are currently trialing some HD content over dvb. I have found
> a card that would decode it but it is pricey and dont want to have the
> outlay if it is completely broken.
>
> Is this currently being maintained by anyone in particular? If so
> wouldn't mind ahving a discussion about the status and what would need
> to be done to get it to work.
I have MPEG4 TS streams working with mythtv (actually on SVN trunk
there is only a trivial patch needed to get it working).  The real
problem is that ffh264 can't handle decoding h264 HD streams in real
time.  My solution was to use CoreAVC which is about 30% faster and
can decode (some) HD streams in real time (but is a windows DirectShow
filter, so I had to do a lot of work to get it enabled, and is
non-free so you need to pay the $10 for it).  I posted to this list
sometime back.  See this post:
http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2006-April/047052.html

It includes the hack I needed to get MPEG4 functioning which can be
found seperately here:
http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2006-April/046871.html

Now seperately, you mention needing a new card to capture the streams.
 Are they in DVB-S2?  Linux does not yet have official support for any
DVB-S2 cards.  I have posted a patch that adds basic DVB-S2 support to
myth (along with a patch to the linux-dvb list