[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r9482 by danielk

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon Mar 27 00:15:44 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 18:05 -0600, Kevin Kuphal wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, based on this channels.conf, what exactly am I
> tuning?
> WTTWDT2:567000000:QAM_256:2432:2433:5
I believe the last number, '5' here, is the mpeg program number,
and that is what you are tuning.

> I just assumed it was ATSC over QAM but am I mistaken in my terminology?
It is only ATSC when you have the VCT table, which means you
have a ATSC major and minor channel. When you use channels.conf
import, or when the MythTV scanner can not find a VCT table
you are tuning on the PAT/PMT so it is MPEG over QAM. This is
how most NTSC channels, and the ATSC channels on illegal Cable
providers, is transmitted.

-- Daniel