[mythtv] problem setting ivtv tuner channel in 0.19 w/ ivtv 0.4.x?

Bruce Taber b.taber at comcast.net
Mon Mar 20 13:31:59 UTC 2006

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 03/20/2006 04:22 AM, Kenneth Padgett wrote:
>
>>> there was
>>> a discussion on the -users list where a couple of people reported it was
>>> not working for them in 0.19.
>>>
>>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/188083#188083
>>>

>> That thread describes the exact problem I have with my PVR-350 too. I
>> came up with the same work around of using a startup script and
>> running ivtv-tune to workaround the issue...
>>

>>> Unfortunately, though, I haven't had a chance to look at it, yet.  Out
>>> of curiosity, though, what do you get when you run:
>>>
>>> mysql -umythtv -p mythconverg -e 'select * from cardinput\G'
>>>

>> *************************** 1. row ***************************
>>     cardinputid: 1
>>          cardid: 1
>>        sourceid: 1
>>       inputname: Tuner 0
>> externalcommand: /usr/local/bin/change_chan.sh
>>      preference: 0
>>       shareable: N
>>        tunechan: 3
>>       startchan: 169
>>   freetoaironly: 1
>>     diseqc_port: NULL
>>      diseqc_pos: NULL
>>  lnb_lof_switch: 11700000
>>      lnb_lof_hi: 10600000
>>      lnb_lof_lo: 9750000
>>     displayname:
>> 1 row in set (0.05 sec)
>>

> That's what I thought I might see.  OK, so now, can you run:
>
> mysql -umythtv -p mythconverg -e 'update cardinput set startchan = 3
> where cardinputid = 1;'
>
> and then test it out without your startup/change channel script(s).  The
> startchan shouldn't matter, but ...

This is sort of what I have done to get the external channel change
command working again. The other piece is to temporarily disable the
external command by adding set externalcommand = '' (that is two single
quotes) to the update mysql command above. Tune to the channel and then
re-enable the externalcommand by updating the entry with the appropriate
external command. This is a one-off procedure after restarting ivtv (or
a reboot, of course). After that the tuner and STB will work correctly
until the next time the ivtv module is restarted.
>> lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, at major 61
>> bttv: disagrees about version of symbol tveeprom_hauppauge_analog
>> bttv: Unknown symbol tveeprom_hauppauge_analog
>> cx88xx: disagrees about version of symbol tveeprom_hauppauge_analog
>> cx88xx: Unknown symbol tveeprom_hauppauge_analog

>> I don't know what cx8800 or bttv is, lirc stuff for different
>> chipsets?
>>

> They're actually drivers for different capture cards.
>

>>  I just have a PVR-350, no other cards... Don't know where
>> that stuff came from, part of the lirc rpm I guess. Could this be
>> causing mythtv not to be able to set my tuner channel to 3?
>>

> Something about your module setup isn't right--and might have an
> effect--but I wouldn't think so (especially since you can use ivtvctl to
> tune the channel correctly).  I haven't played around with ivtv 0.4.x,
> though, so I'll defer the questions about fixing it to someone else.

Yeah, the problem is that the ivtv module gets loaded first, which,
hauls in the tveeprom-ivtv module and the bttv module (maybe the
submodules it needs?) has conflicts. Now, why his setup with only the
PVRx50 needs to load the bttv module is a new one on me. My system has
this problem but I'm using multiple PVRx50s and a FusionHDTV5 Lite. I
have to manually load the bttv module first and then the ivtv module
before it works, at least, partially.