[mythtv] H.264 over MPEG-2 TS recording and playback

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 15:32:38 UTC 2006

On 3/18/06, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 13:08 -0500, Steven Adeff wrote:
> > On 3/17/06, Mark Buechler <mark.buechler at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I can provide sample streams but they come from an FTA channel here in the
> > > US. I doubt it's copyright free. If anyone needs a sample stream contact me
> > > off-list and we'll discuss further.
> > if its FTA then there should be no issue in distributing it for free,
> > you just can't make any money off of distribution.
>
> Umm no... If it is copyrighted, you have to be very careful to stay
> within fair use rules which are ambiguous and differ greatly by country.
>
> What I meant by test streams was an organized set of streams with
> different video attributes (high motion, low motion, color, B&W,
> different resolutions) and different attached audio (ACC, AC3,
> MP2, MP3, etc.) It should be public domain, or at least distributed
> under a license that allows me to redistribute the stream to a user
> for testing.
>
> I don't care if the high motion video is of your dog playing catch,
> but I do care about the copyright.
>
> I'm willing to host these videos, but only if it is unquestionably
> legal to do so in any country I might ever want to visit.
>
> -- Daniel

I've been trying to figure out how to mux into a TS stream but it
doesn't look like mencoder or ffmpeg support this? If anyone know how
to do this I'll create a slew of h264 streams. There are some
non-copyrighted test streams available that I can reencode to h264 at
various bitrates with various audio tracks like Daniel asks for.

--
Steve