[mythtv] Interesting Comparison

Dag Nygren dag at newtech.fi
Fri Mar 3 12:42:39 UTC 2006

> Simple navigation is possible with a browser. You just have to get
> the tabbing order right.
>
> >And _very_ flexible data reading - in lists like those in mythvideo not all
> >dataof  has to be loaded at once. First when the user scrolls it's loaded.
>
> To load the program guide (current time, and 24 hours plus and minus)
> only takes a second.  Mainly because there is no XML.
> Add XML and you are talking slower times because you have to bear with
> XML telling you that "23" is an "integer" or something ridiculous.

You are probably right about XML.
Thought about this myself as I also have problems with Myth and
communicating with the developers (well not all  of them ;-) ) thus
considering brewing my own.
The problem with a textfile for setup is that to implement a front/backend
solution both probably need some access to this file and you get the problem
of accessing that data. The database solution solves that problem nicely.

My humble opinions on Myth are the following:
1. The back/frontend idea is good
2. I would prefer different programs instead of a "allinone" solution.
    That is:
   - Backend's doing DVB reception, reading a file, doing Firewire etc.
     All these creating a MPEG stream
  - Frontends for putting a file on disk (recording), showing the file on a
display etc.
    Accepting aa MPEG stream
   - One scheduler connecting the above together and not only one to one but
also
      one to many, which would be good for watching LIveTV and getting near
instant
      channelsurfing capabilities
   - One program gathering program info
   - And so on
3. The themeability of Myth is  _A Good Thing_ as it makes it more appealing
also
   to non techies.
4. The logic of the UI could be seriously rethought though. Now it needs far
too many
   different buttons. Should be more like a Nokia phone...
5. And I still think that there are too many places where Myth breaks if not
used
   in perfect conditions. The current problems with MySQL 5.x is an indication
of
   deeper logical problems. Handling/surviving "not perfect" MPEG files is
another
  (Can probably be attributed tothe ffmpeg library though).

> There is sone Javascript in my implementation.
> Mainly to update main window when program detail popup schedules
> something, and to popup certain windows when required.

I am not that convinced about the browser idea as I would like even more
displays like VDR, with the OSD on top of the current picture. This is also
almost a requirement for

> Simplicity?

Yep, that is a good thing. But we still need/like functionality too.

Best

Dag