[mythtv] EIT and EPG

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Tue Jun 27 11:59:12 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 08:44:57PM +1000, Dave Oxley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently running revision 10292 of trunk and I have some questions
> about the EIT implementation in trunk and/or what is planned for the
> 0.20 release:
> 1. If EIT and tv_grab are used will the EIT update the programme details
> that were entered by tv_grab? i.e. Update the start and end time.

not at this time. it's on the TODO list for the eitrewrite.

> 2. If the answer to 1 is yes, will the programme title, subtitle and
> description be updated or left as they were entered by tv_grab?

the intention is to allow "smart updates".
whereby if it is the same program then we update the start & end
times, but if the program is completely changed then the whole
program information would need updating.

> 3. I'm in Australia and the EIT here seems to be a couple of minutes out
> from the data entered by tv_grab. I have seen duplicate programmes with
> different start times. i.e. 1 is 20:00 - 20:29 and another is 20:03 -
> 20:29. Is this unique to Australia and is anything being done to fix this?

It's not unique to aus, and will be addressed by #2

> 4. There are 2 db columns (useonairguide in channel and useeit in
> videosource). How do they relate? i.e. Does one override the value of
> the other?

A video source can be set to allow eit data or not. Effectively a
card level on/off switch.

Each channel then has useonairguide. this allows you to switch off
eit data for channels you know don't provide useful data.

The work around for running with both eit & tv_grab data is
currently to collect some channels with tv_grab and set
useonairguide = 0 for those channels, and let the eit scanner
update the rest of the channels.

> 5. We only have now and next information over EIT here, but on Austar
> (DVB-S) there is also an EPG channel that I guess carries 7 days of
> information. Is this likely to be in a standard format and can/will it
> be used by mythtv?

It's likely be in a standard format, although some sat providers have
been known to either, encrypt it, compress it, or use their own format.

That said, there are already fixups in place to "adjust" the Austar
EIT data into suitable shape for myth, so the eit scanner should be
able to get data from those epg channels.

Stuart