[mythtv] EIT active scanner

Yeasah Pell yeasah at schwide.com
Tue Jun 13 18:11:31 UTC 2006

Some providers aggregate EIT for multiple transports onto a single
transport, so that only one out of a bunch of multiplexes will have EIT
data on it (but it will apply to the whole group of them)

Currently the active EIT scanner assumes that any multiplex with a
channel that uses EIT will have EIT available, which can result in a lot
of useless tuning activity (and potentially more rotor activity than is
needed)

Does adding a field to the dtv_multiplex table that indicates the
presence of EIT seem like a good idea? This way we could watch for EIT
at scan time, and populate this field accordingly, and the active
scanner could use this information to determine that there's no point in
scanning a particular multiplex (since it isn't going to find any EIT there)

The only way I figure it can go wrong is if a provider doesn't transmit
EIT 100% of the time and a multiplex could be marked incorrectly as
non-EIT at scan time -- it seems kind of unlikely that a provider would
shut EIT off for an entire transport for certain times of the day, but
you just never know what horrible things broadcasters will do. If that's
the case, we could still collect the EIT presence information, but only
optionally use it to limit EIT scans (i.e. as a per-input DVB option
like the DVB radio checkbox, etc.)