[mythtv] MythArchive and MPEG4 (software) recordings.

Martin Moeller martin at martinm-76.dk
Sat Jun 10 21:34:25 UTC 2006

---------- Original Message -----------
From: Paul Harrison <mythtv at dsl.pipex.com>
To: Development of mythtv <mythtv-dev at mythtv.org>
Sent: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 16:20:42 +0100
Subject: Re: [mythtv] MythArchive and MPEG4 (software) recordings.

> Martin Møller wrote:
> > Lørdag 10 juni 2006 05:40 skrev stanley kamithi:
> >
> >> your progress log seems to have the same ffmpeg error i was
encountering.
> >> i have  nuv mpeg4 files generated from a plextor m402u.
> >>
> >>  ffmpeg app fails to find the end of the nuv mpeg4 recording and
crashes.
> >> i sent a patch to the ffmpeg folks...
> >>
> >> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2006-May/011571.html
> >>
> >> mytharchive worked great after that.
> >>
> > Thank you Stanley! It does indeed make all the difference.
> >
> > That leaves me with what the valid DVD resolutions are...
> >
> > def isResolutionOkayForDVD(videoresolution):
> >     if videomode=="ntsc":
> >         return videoresolution==(720,480) or videoresolution==(704,480)
or vi
> > deoresolution==(352,480) or videoresolution==(352,240)
> >     else:
> >         return videoresolution==(720,576) or videoresolution==(704,576)
or vi
> > deoresolution==(352,576) or videoresolution==(352,288)
> >
> > Should be okay... Is it an aspect thing then?
> >
> > Oh well, at least my very first mytharchive DVD is in the making. :)
> >
> > /Martin.
> >
> The valid dvd resolutions only apply if the file is already in mpeg2
> format. Currently if a file has to be re-encoded because its not an
> mpeg2 or has an invalid resolution its done using encoding
> parameters that are hard coded into the script so the resolution is
> always changed to 720x480 for ntsc or 720x576 for pal. I'm currently
> looking at how to make the encoding parameters selectable probably
> by allowing the user to select a named profile. Power users will
> always be able to add there own custom profile simply by editing a
> config file.
>
> Paul H.

------- End of Original Message -------

Ah, Ok. When I make my next DVD, I'll try the manual edit thing, unless you
beat me to the punch with a userfriendly solution :)

It looks pretty cool Paul. I look forward to trying to play it.
Unfortunately it took so long to generate that I didn't have time to get it
with me and it takes about 16 hours to transfer over a 512 kbit/s
line... :-/

/Martin.