[mythtv] SoC 2006: Configuration Revamp Information

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 16:30:40 UTC 2006

On 6/7/06, Isaac Richards <ijr at case.edu> wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 June 2006 11:41 am, Justin M. Hunt wrote:
> > I was talking with Daniel (the project mentor, for those who dont know)
> > and we will have an expert mode like about:config in firefox.  Then basic
> > and advanced modes, where advanced is accessed via a button (not on a
> > menu), since this is more obvious.  This will not have every setting, to
> > keep it simple, the rarely used settings will be only accessible through
> > the expert mode. There will also be a search available to find a paticular
> > option. As well I will be making the whole thing loaded from an XML file,
> > so changing the heirarchy is simple.
>
> State changes for screens everywhere else in myth are done through popup
> menus, there's absolutely no reason to break this by doing something
> different here.  Putting a "Press 'Menu' to see more options" message on
> screen won't hurt anything, and makes it just as obvious as a button.

Isaac, I think the concern is that if the pop-up will only have one
option it may be "overkill" where one simple button could do the same
thing, with the "press menu" message just saying it will switch
between modes. Now if more options for the pop-up become necesary,
then it would definitely make sense.

--
Steve