[mythtv] SoC 2006: Configuration Revamp Information

Justin M. Hunt beyonddeath at focushere.ca
Wed Jun 7 15:41:19 UTC 2006

----- Matthew Wire <devel at mrwire.co.uk> wrote:
> Personally I think it would be a good idea to separate out all the
> initial configuration settings (eg CD drive, media storage locations,
> audio output device, timeouts etc).  This can then be hidden by the
> theme, just leaving settings which users may want to configure.
> The way I see it, MythTV is designed to be used as an appliance and,
> as
> such, settings relating to the hardware should not be accessible
> easily
> (ie put them in an advanced setup hideable by the theme).
>
> Another thing that I'd really like to see is adding the ability to
> specify which settings are visible without recompiling the relevant
> library.  This would make it a lot easier to customise what
> configuration options are shown.
>
> Either way, I think it's important that it is relatively simple to
> hide/show settings at an "oem" stage.
>
> Thanks,
> Matthew Wire

I was talking with Daniel (the project mentor, for those who dont know)
and we will have an expert mode like about:config in firefox.  Then basic
and advanced modes, where advanced is accessed via a button (not on a menu),
since this is more obvious.  This will not have every setting, to keep
it simple, the rarely used settings will be only accessible through the
expert mode. There will also be a search available to find a paticular
option. As well I will be making the whole thing loaded from an XML file,
so changing the heirarchy is simple.

Justin