[mythtv] SoC 2006: Configuration Revamp Information - UI design problems.

Allan Stirling Dibblahmythml0015 at pendor.org
Wed Jun 7 10:30:50 UTC 2006

Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 07:07:25PM -0400, Justin M. Hunt wrote:
>> I like your idea of getting settings from the users, I will talk to Daniel
>> about doing something like that. The only problem I would forsee is having
>> hundreds of dump's and just me who can analyse them.  It seems like it would
>> use significantly more of my time than is needed, and which could be better
>> spent coding the new system.  As I said, I will ask Daniel what he thinks.
>>

> An idea that came up on #mythtv-users is that if some of the people
> that hang out there were to document one page of the settings each
> the whole thing would get documented quite quickly.
>
> You could use a similar theory to help with the analysis of the
> pages & co-ordinate it via the wiki.

This is all IMHO, so please feel free to treat it with the
contempt it deserves:

The problem with all of this canvassing of the -dev and
-users list is that it has the potential of missing the point.

Pretty much by definition, *anyone* posting to either of the
mailing lists with "good" settings is already an advanced
user. It would be good instead to get some non-Myth people
(if there's any left ;)) to critique any new setup pages. We
all are 'into' the Myth mindset.

This really needs to be "target audience" type people -
Interested in the tech, but not necessarily exposed to Linux
and Myth.

Problem is, where to find these people :)

Cheers,

Allan.