[mythtv] SoC 2006: Configuration Revamp Information

Mark A. Hoover mahoover at ispaceonline.org
Wed Jun 7 00:45:21 UTC 2006

> ------------------------------
>
> From: "Justin M. Hunt" <beyonddeath at focushere.ca>
>
> I think your idea has merit, however making it
> intuitive with a remote control, in paticular
> with any conveivable remote control, is not as
> easy as it seems.  We want something that
> someone who has never used mythtv can figure
> out, and having to use odd button mappings to
> get to the other skill levels is a bit of a
> steep learning curve.

Perhaps there's another way to look at this.  I run separate frontends
and a backend server.  Maybe instead of worrying about keeping the config
options usable from a remote, the idea would be just to remove them from
the frontend setup.  Have the frontend setup be just enough to connect
back to the settings DB, and then a program that could be run from a
normal X-Windows GUI or Mythweb page.  This would also allow you to set
settings across multiple frontends without having to log into each one
individually.

Bonus points if you could then tell an already running frontend to refresh
its configuration.....