[mythtv] SoC 2006: Configuration Revamp Information

Justin M. Hunt beyonddeath at focushere.ca
Tue Jun 6 22:06:20 UTC 2006

----- Lucas Meijer <lucas at mach8.nl> wrote:
> Justin M. Hunt wrote:
> > Please post any feedback you have on these proposed removals, or any
> other ideas for the configuration revamp.
> >
> Hey Justin,
>
> Without trying to push more workload on you :-), it would be great if
>
> the settings were stored in such a way that it would be relativly easy
>
> to make a textbased configuration program that can also modify the
> settings.. (storing settingname, possible values, min/max, database
> entry, expert level etc somewhere other than hardcoded)..  I don't
> know
> if the settings for the mythtv-setup program are also on your radar,
> but
> I've always found it a bit annoying that I need to use X for this.
>
> I'm not sure if I'm alone in this opinion or not, but it might be
> something to keep in mind as a future option when revamping a new
> setup
> for the configuration of myth.
>
> Bye, Lucas

Hi Lucas,

I looked at this about a year ago, and basically the way the settings
are stored requires access to the database, and myth, last I checked,
uses QT to do all that.  So basically, as far as I know anyway, if
you have QT you have X.  It would be possible to write a text mode
configuration program that access mysql directly but as of right now I
will concentrate my work on getting the new frontend config working.

Cheers,
Justin