[mythtv] SoC 2006: Configuration Revamp Information

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Tue Jun 6 18:13:16 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 06 June 2006 18:28, Steven Adeff wrote:
> The question then becomes, how would a novice user know if a setting
> in the "Advanced" settings is something they may wish to change?
>
> I realized this after I made the 3 levels suggestion, but other than
> RTFM I can't think of a good method.

Which is one reason why I like the tabs or a carousel type method, if it can
be made to work with a remote which I don't see as difficult.

With tabs a user can clearly see that there are advanced settings available
for each settings section. If no advanced settings exist for a particular
group of settings then the tab/button can be greyed out or just not
displayed.

The next/previous buttons would still be available so you wouldn't need to
return to the basic screen to progress. It also makes arranging the layout a
little easier, you don't need to account for the page expanding/collapsing or
scrolling to display/hide the advanced options.

You can quickly switch back/forth between the basic and advanced options, thus
allow family members access to the basic settings without needing to change
the 'setting view' setting back to advanced whenever you want to use it.

You get a quick visual check of whether the settings you are looking at are
considered basic etc

Note that I'm not advocating a strict tabs layout, but simply the general
concept behind tabs e.g. grouping similar things whilst clearly defining them
and making navigation between them quick.
--
Stuart Morgan