[mythtv] SoC 2006: Configuration Revamp Information

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Tue Jun 6 17:51:56 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 06 June 2006 1:47 pm, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> * On Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 12:50:47PM -0400, Justin M. Hunt wrote:
> > To simplify the rest of the configuration, since we could not aggree to
> > remove many options, I propose a 3 level system.  Basic, Intermediate
> > and Advanced levels of configuration, as someone had suggested in this
> > thread.  The items we discussed here will likely be in the advanced or
> > intermediate section and I will hopefully post a list later with the
> > proposed level and location of all the options.
>
> Just to make sure I'm clear on this, are you envisioning 3 different
> mutually-exclusive sections or 3 different settings 'levels' for the
> same settings screen/area.
>
> If a particular setting is on the Intermediate level, does it appear
> only on a Intermediate setup page or does it appear on the Advanced
> page with Advanced settings as well?
>
> I think it works best intuitively if there is one setup section that
> can display more or less options depending on what the user has their
> level set to, but this will require a lot more work to make sure that
> we don't have pages that overflow when the user views it in Advanced
> mode with all options but are too empty (ie, 1-2 options on a page)
> when the user is on the Basic settings level.

'Pages' should mostly go away if things are switched to use the style of
interfaced used for recordings, as I suggested in the project description.
Shouldn't be an issue displaying more/less items that way. =)  I don't think
mutually-exclusive screens for the different levels would work terribly well.

Isaac