[mythtv] mythtranscode dropping audio?

Gary Dezern gary at garyndenise.org
Fri Jun 2 01:09:11 UTC 2006

Bill Cizek wrote:
> In any case,  I dug into the code a little and I found it wasn't
> reading far enough into the stream
> to see the audio tracks. The attached patch works around this problem
> by greatly increasing the
> "how far should I read to get stream info" parameter.  It's a hack but
> it worked for me. YMMV.
>  /** Number of frames to read, max. */
> -#define MAX_FRAMES           15
> +#define MAX_FRAMES           200

I'll give this a try (tomorrow afternoon) and see if it fixes it for
me.  It's really kind of odd how this works... Only on mpg files I
import into myth.. and only on the second transcode.  If I transcode
manually via the CLI (mythtranscode -m -i xx -o xx) there's no loss of
audio no matter how many times I do it.

That's why I wanted to get the command-line parameters that mythTV
uses... to see what might be different.  On the other hand, I've noticed
that when I import files, before the first transcode, seeks are all
messed up (even after running mythcommflag --file --rebuild.)  After the
first transcode, seeks work properly, but the preview .png file will be
a black thumbnail - even if the preview image is supposed to be showing
a bookmark frame.  After the second transcode, seeks work fine, as do
the .png thumbnails.. but the audio is completely missing.

I'm generating some 5 minute mpg files tonight (with AC3 2 channel
audio) that will likely have the same issues.  If so, I'll make one
available from my machine so other people can repeat my issue.  (Of
course, they'll have to be patient while downloading it...)

Take care
Gary