[mythtv] BBC HD h264 and transcode?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 03:23:08 UTC 2006

On 7/28/06, David Shirley <tephra at gmail.com> wrote:
> well in australia out 1080iHD gets sent at about 15Mbps (MPEG2)
>
> when I use ffmpeg to transcode them to H264 on autosettings the avg
> bitrate changes to about 5mbits. quality wise its about 90% there...
>
> my point was 20Mbps is huge for H264, you could probably reencode that
> to 10mbps and be able to play it back...

I think that a few people have just slightly less than capable
systems, but with mpeg2 decoding done at the video card using XvMC,
these systems are then able to playback HD content.  So, my guess is
that re-encoding h264 to mpeg2 of an HD res/bitrate is for this
purpose.

-Chad

--
Prebuilt HDTV capable systems at reasonable prices:
http://www.pauselivetv.com