[mythtv] Documentation on undocumentated features?

Geoffrey Hausheer mythtv0368 at phracturedblue.com
Sat Jan 28 14:43:44 UTC 2006

On 1/27/06, Chad  wrote:
> I'm wondering if there is documentation on things that don't have
> documentation in the regular documentation nor in the OSD (when you
> highlight a feature there is sometimes a small description on it's
> use, but not on all features)?  If so, where?
Sure, but not in myth

> My immediate example is in the transcoding settings screen.  When you
> arrow down to the "Maximum Quality" and "Minimum Quality" options, the
> only note you get is not very helpful:  "Modifying the default may
> have severe consequences"
These are standard ffmpeg settings.  you probably want to google for
ffmpeg, or mencoder to learn more about them.  Certainly the
descriptions could be more verbose, but you really shouldn't play with
them unless you know what you are doing :).  Not because they will
break your machine, but because the changes can have a large impact on
quality and or size, and it is not trivial to find the 'best'
parameters.  In general, for these specific parameters, smaller equals
better (and larger file sizes).

Also, this really isn't a 'dev' type question.  'users' would be a
better place to ask about this stuff.

.Geoff