[mythtv] "Record new episodes only" not working as anticipated

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jan 23 17:45:33 UTC 2006

On 01/23/2006 12:17 PM, Carl Reynolds wrote:
> Endaf Jones wrote:
>> Upon further search into the database, I can see that
>> "previouslyshown" is set to "0" for the program that is going to be
>> recorded, despite it being originally aired 2001-12-20.
>>
>> Who's the source of the the "previouslyshown" field?  DataDirect or
>> mythfilldatabase?
>>
>> Guess I'll have to pull down a DataDirect snippet and parse it to see.
>>
> Since you're using datadirect as a source for your listings,
> mythfilldatabase uses it to determine whether a show was previously
> shown. The field you want to look at is the 'repeat' attribute on the
> <schedule .../> tag for the specified show. If 'repeat' is not present,
> mythfilldatabase assumes the show was not previously shown.

Or you can explicitly tell mfdb to mark anything whose original airdate
is before the starttime as a repeat so that even if your data provider
doesn't mark a show as a repeat, mfdb will:

$ mythfilldatabase --help

--mark-repeats
   Marks any programs with a OriginalAirDate earlier
   than their start date as a repeat

Note, though, that this may mark non-repeats as repeats if, for example,
you get a "generic" episode description (where DD usually provides the
original airdate of the first episode of the series) and the episode is
not a repeat or ...

You may want to check it out before adding the option (in the
"mythfilldatabase Arguments" setting) to your mythfilldatabase command with:

SELECT title, subtitle, starttime, originalairdate
  FROM program
 WHERE previouslyshown = 0
   AND originalairdate IS NOT NULL
   AND (TO_DAYS(starttime) - TO_DAYS(originalairdate)) > 1;

and

SELECT count(*)
  FROM program
 WHERE previouslyshown = 0
   AND originalairdate IS NOT NULL
   AND (TO_DAYS(starttime) - TO_DAYS(originalairdate)) > 1;

However, note that the value used (where I've used 1) defaults to 14
(which may be better than 1), and you'll need to set a value for
NewEpisodeWindow to use anything else (there's no GUI controls available
to set this value).

Mike