[mythtv] Firewire Problems (DCT6200)

Wylie Swanson wylie.swanson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 05:03:56 UTC 2006

On 1/5/06, Steve Adeff <adeffs at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 05 January 2006 19:17, Bryan Murphy wrote:
> > Steve Adeff wrote:
> > > these are the versions I have running, I think are the latest, and
> will
> > > work: libavc1394-0.5.1
> > > libiec61883-1.0.0
> > > libraw1394-1.2.0
> >
> > Same versions here.

> > > why did you do this step? If possible, since you compiled them from
> > > scratch, you can remove the packaged versions.
> >
> > I have some other software installed that complains if those libraries
> > aren't available.
>
> ok, what about having the versions you compiled in /usr/local/lib and have
> mythtv link against those explicitly? no renaming/moving/etc...

> Host
> > >
> > > Did you ever look into why it would stop working after two weeks?
> >
> > I did, but I never found any pattern to it.  It would just stop.  It was
> > easy enough to fix (a quick reboot) and I've been very busy lately so I
> > haven't had much incentive to follow it up on the list until now.

> > > but previously, it was working fine when it did work?
> >
> > It worked great when it worked!
>
> ok, and you always used your compiled versions of the firewire libraries
> for
> mythtv? I wonder which VIA chipset you have specificly. When you get a
> chance
> to look, if you could let me know I'd appreciate it.

> > > Well, it should be possible to get it working with your VIA firewire
> > > since it did work before. I would be curious though, if moving to a
> non
> > > VIA firewire chipset solves the 2week or any other issues you may have
> > > had?
> >
> > I'll try to dig something up this weekend.  Hopefully I'll have some
> > more time to play around with it and try a different card.
> >
> > Bryan
>
> Sounds good, let us know.
>
> --
> Steve

I thought I would just add to this thread that I have similar problems with
my two SA3250HD tuners.

They are a real pain to work with after a system reboot or power cycle.  I
sometimes have to plug a laptop into the 2nd 1394 port, as well as swap them
around a bit, to get streaming functionality back.  I have found this can
help avoid rebooting the tuners.

I have found that different systems and firewire cards behave very
differently with the same tuners.  I have two laptops with built-in firewire
that works 95% of the time when testing.  Move either tuner to a SFF
backend/frontend in my family room, and usually the tuner is not to be found
-- when it works, it works perfectly until the next power cycle.

Another tuner in my office worked great with an older system, but after
moving the same 1394 adapter to a faster machine, it will stop streaming
after just a few minutes.  Very strange stuff.  Unfortunately, gscanbus
"force bus reset" was not useful for me.

To add some detail -- I am using two SA3250HDs with Cox in the southwest U.S
.