[mythtv] Mythbackend UPnP server?

Michael Tiller michael.tiller at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 18:03:27 UTC 2006

Just out of curiosity...

I don't really know much about UPnP but is it possible (or does it even make
sense) to extend MythBackend to be a MediaRenderer.  Yes, I mean MythBackend
not MythFrontend.  What I'm talking about here is the ability for the Myth
backend to capture content being streamed by a MediaServer.

This may seem odd, but let me explain where I'm coming from here.  I
noticed, for example, that Bill Maher is now featured in a "show" on
Amazon.com called "Amazon Fishbowl" (dumb name).  Anyway, if Amazon opened
this up via the UPnP protocol (does that even make sense, like I said, I'm
ignorant UPnP in general) could I set up myth to record it?

I guess what I'm wondering is, could UPnP be the protocol that, DRM issues
aside, unifies all the possible content sources out there (Google Video,
Amazon.com, IPTV) so they are all addressable for the purposes of recording
from a DVR?

Just a question.

--
Mike